Monday, June 3, 2013

My Childhood...In Playlist Form

For years, I've been listening to the radio, catching here and there a song which elicits a strong emotional response. Normally, it's a strong memory from my childhood: a car ride across the country, working with my dad in the basement (listening to his old Panasonic boombox), or just a generic happy memory from the decade filled with brown clothing and shag carpeting. I've been meaning to start writing down the songs that provoke the best memories, just so that I have a list to reference in the future. As I started to think about these songs, I got very excited, since I realized that a playlist of music like this would actually be used frequently and could be a very effective mood booster / nostalgia machine. I have to explain that this list isn't "the best of the 80's" or definitive, or something like that. You're going to scratch your head at some of these, and wonder why "x song" isn't included. There are a lot of my favorite songs not represented here and there is a reason why. These songs bring out my best emotions of my childhood and each one stands out immediately to me... in other words, I know it when I hear it. To start my list, I read countless other playlists from the Web, and started going through the Greatest Hits albums of all of the bands I could think of. I hope you enjoy this list and find something you may have forgotten. 

A-Ha - Take On Me
Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian
Beach Boys - Kokomo
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a place on earth
Berlin - Take my Breath Away
Billy Idol - White Wedding
Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
Billy Joel - We Didn’t Start the Fire
Bobby McFerrin - Don’t Worry be happy
Boston - Amanda
Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is
Cars - Who’s gonna drive you home
Club Nouveau - Lean on Me
Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
Don Henley - All she wants to do is dance
Don Henley - Boys of Summer
Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
Foreigner - Died in your arms
Foreigner - I want to know what love is
Foreigner - Waiting for a Girl Like You
Genesis - Invisible Touch
Genesis - That’s All
Genesis - Tonight Tonight Tonight
George Michael - Careless Whisper
George Michael - Faith
Grateful Dead - Touch of Gray
Heart - Barracuda
Heart - These Dreams
Huey Lewis & the News - If This is It
Huey Lewis & the News - Power of Love
Journey - Lights
Journey - Separate Ways
Kylie Minogue - Locomotion
Londonbeat - I’ve been thinking about you
Madonna - Material Girl
Men at Work - Who Can it Be Now
Mike & the Mechanics - All I need is a miracle
Mike & the Mechanics - Silent Running
Mike & the Mechanics - The Living Years
Modern English - Melt with you
Moody Blues - Your Wildest Dreams
Mr. Mister - Kyrie Eleison
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Phil Collins - Easy Lover
Phil Collins - Groovy Kind of Love
Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight
Phil Collins - One More Night
Phil Collins - Something Happened on the Way to...
Phil Collins - Take Me Home
Phil Collins - You Can’t Hurry Love
Police - King of Pain
Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger
Police - Every Breath You Take
Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Right here waiting for you
Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love
Romantics - Talking in your Sleep
Simple Minds - Don’t you forget about me
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Starship - Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now
Starship - Sara
Starship - We Built This City
Steve Perry - Sherry
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Tears for Fears - Shout
Tina Turner - What’s Love Got to Do With It
Toto - Africa
U2 - I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
U2 - With or Without You
Van Halen - Dreams
Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

No comments: